Welcome to Kristiansand International School
Published: 28.08.2014 by: TP
Welcome to the Website of Kristiansand International School. KIS is a small school situated in one of the most beautiful parts of Norway, itself one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Our student body is made up of international and Norwegian students, some of whom attend KIS long-term, whereas others are here for a shorter period of time.
Whatever their background, or the intended length of stay, our aim is to welcome all of students in Grades 1-10 to an open-minded and hospitable community of learners. Our students are encouraged to think carefully about the world around them, to learn new concepts that are of global significance and to reflect thoughtfully on their own learning.
As an IB World school, authorized to offer the IB’s Primary Years Programme (Grades 1-5) and Middle Years Programme (Grades 6-10), KIS wants all of our students to become globally minded citizens who display the attributes of the IB’s Learner Profile (www.ibo.org/programmes/profile/). We aim to prepare our students for entry into other schools and educational establishments around the world, whatever the educational system or language. To achieve this, our students learn to be resourceful, independent learners with the ability to solve their own problems and seek help when needed.
We encourage these traits by offering a rich inquiry-based curriculum. With subject knowledge not linked to any particular nationality or national curriculum, we focus on fostering in our students a strong conceptual understanding of their learning; an understanding that will be transferable to new situations and new knowledge.
Lastly, our staff members work hard to make the students’ learning meaningful. An aspect of fun in the way that our students are taught provides them with the motivation needed to do well and to feel proud of themselves and their achievements. This work by our staff is repaid by our students who are positive about school and about learning and keen to do their best.
Published: 08.09.2012 by: SE
Kristiansand International School (KIS), established in January 2008,
is an IB PYP – MYP School, authorized since December 2011 by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) to develop and deliver courses within the framework of the IB Primary Years Programme (Years 1–5 ) and IB Middle Years Programme (Years 6-10).
With the IB programmes recognized around the world, there is increased adaptability and continuity for students at all year levels to transfer smoothly from one IB school to another or to other international school or to any national school.
The school accreditation can also be found in the box on the left.
Published: 17.09.2011 by: SE
Kristiansand International School aims to develop learners who are enthusiastic about life and learning. We strive to become open-minded, independent thinkers, who celebrate cultural diversity through collaboration and compassion. We are respectful and responsible to the commitment of active involvement in our local, national and global communities.
We aim to achieve our academic and social goals through the following objectives by:
- Promoting the International Baccalaureate's philosophy of nurturing active and compassionate life-long learners.
- Modelling and including the Learner Profile in all that we do.
- Celebrating the diversity of culture, languages, and learning opportunities by understanding one another's way of learning.
- Offering a student-centered approach that promotes inquiry-based learning.
- Providing our students with knowledge and skills to confront challenges, solve problems and enjoy life-long learning.
- Empowering learners to excel academically in an environment that challenges their physical, intellectual, social and emotional well-being.
- Providing a dynamic environment that promotes the development of critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving.
- Promoting the dignity of hard work, and the value of play and recreation.
- Nurturing a safe, secure, and orderly environment that is essential for personal development.
- Providing learning opportunities with appropriate resources and services.
- Developing personal integrity and a sense of commitment to serving our community.
- Enabling all members of the KIS community to know their rights and responsibilities and understand the consequences of their actions and interactions.
- Including parents in our community so that they play an integral role within the school.
- Ensuring that student achievement and success are the collective responsibility of our administrators, staff, parents and students.